Image credit: Jean Pretorius
For our next webinar on July 30, CSA Past President Jean Pretorius will speak on . Please help us to spread word of this event by sharing our posts on the Facebook and Instagram accounts of the Colour Society of Australia, by distributing this poster promoting the event, or by passing on the following link to your friends, colleagues and students: https://coloursociety.org.au/event-5345520.
Image credit: Scott Fischer. https://justpaint.org/neutralizing-color/
This webinar is the second of a series of educational webinars called Creating Colour, intended for ambitious beginner painters through to professional artists who want a better understanding of the technical properties of their media, and follows our very successful first presentation on Paint Making by Ulysses Jackson in April. In this second instalment, Jean Pretorius will address a number of practical issues painters encounter when creating colour. Topics to be covered – if time allows – will include:
- Deciphering labelling on paint tubes (pigment codes, ‘Permanence’, ‘Opacity’, additives)
- Colour spaces and basic language for talking about paints, their colours and handling: Munsell, NCS, hue, value, chroma, saturation; rheology
- Single paints: (Paint is not the same as Colour!) Mass tone, undertone.
- Two-paint mixing: “tints”, “shades”, “tones”, combinations of chromatic paints, pitfalls and opportunities when using complementaries to reduce chroma. High and low-chroma mixing curves.
- Three-paint mixing; how to produce all possible hues. Triples that give “good”/high chroma hue circles. Beginning to think about palettes.
- Palettes: issues to consider when constructing and evaluating your own palette. (This talk will be “palette agnostic” – no particular palette is being presented as being the best, rather tools are provided for painters to think about the palette that best suits their needs and skills at the time.)
- Basic colour matching.
Format: 45 min presentation, 15 min Q&A, 10 min break, 40 min presentation, 10 min Q&A
Image credit: Dr Jean Pretorius
Many of the topics will be illustrated using 3D viewing software that relies on input from the Golden Paints Virtual Paint Mixer https://www.goldenpaints.com/mixer. Jean created the PaintEngine software behind the Mixer in collaboration with former CSA Treasurer Werner Dittrich, and the 3D viewing software specifically for this presentation.
Image credit: Dr Jean Pretorius
Jean Pretorius is Education Officer and a former President of the Colour Society of Australia and studied realist painting at the Julian Ashton Art School. He holds a Ph.D. in Pure Mathematics from Cambridge University and is a founding Director of the Simon Marais Mathematics Competition, an international mathematics competition for undergraduate students.
This webinar is free but registration is essential and limited to 100 participants worldwide, so early registration is advised. Successful registrants will be notified by reply email and will be sent the link and instructions to join the webinar on the Zoom platform shortly before the event. To receive this email with the Zoom link, you must register by the deadline of midnight AEST on Friday July 28, but please note that this webinar may be booked out well in advance of that date.
This event continues a series of webinars organized and presented free of charge by the Colour Society of Australia NSW Division. These webinars are free to attend for CSA members and non-members around Australia and the world, but as usual registration for nonmembers opens one week after registration for members. Recordings of all of these webinars can be accessed by CSA Members through the Members' Area of the CSA website, but like the other sessions in our special series of educational webinars Creating Colour, the recording of Jean's presentation will also be publicly available on the Colour Society of Australia's YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@coloursocietyofaustralians3974